is used for bittering mainly, good flavor. Columbus Pellet Hops are used in IPA, Pale Ale, and Stouts. Columbus is a descendant of Nugget. It is a high alpha variety and is primarily used for bittering purposes. Columbus is often referred to as CTZ, a trio of similar hops including Tomahawk and Zeus.
Aroma: include black pepper, licorice, curry and subtle citrus.
Columbus Hop Effect is pure resin extract of columbus hops containing alpha acids, beta acids, and hop oils. Columbus Hop Effect is produced using a CO2 process that extracts the soft resins and essential oils from columbus hops. It can be used during the boil to provide bitterness while flavor and aroma contributions can be expected when added to the late kettle or whirlpool.
Columbus Hop Effect Benefits
• Increased final volume through reduced kettle trub
• Reduced hot-side brew kettle foam formation during the boil
• Bitterness, flavor, and aroma via late boil additions
• Variety specific hop character and related notes in beer
• Reduced vegetal and polyphenol flavor contribution
• Increased alpha utilization approx. 5% over regular hops/pellets
• Excellent stability of alpha acids, beta acids and hop oils
• Extended shelf life and reduced storage requirements